Search libraries in the Brattleboro area and beyond. Although it isn't possible to request titles directly from these libraries, you are welcome to request via interlibrary loan.
Our section for college students offers further help on connecting with your local college or distance-learning library.
for libraries throughout the U.S. and beyond
Worldcat is a huge cooperative catalog maintained by OCLC, an organization that librarians use for cataloging and interlibrary loan. A few years back, OCLC launched a free public Worldcat that's available on the Web.
Examples of things you can do with it:
- Identify books on a subject that you can request on interlibrary loan.
- Find out who recorded a piece by a favorite composer.
- See if there is an audio version of a favorite book that you can request on interlibrary loan.
- Find a library within driving distance that has a book you need TODAY.
...etc. Play around with the advanced search to see what it can do.
If you want to see what libraries own a particular title, type a key word or zip code into the box labeled "Find a copy in the library." For example, type Vermont to find some (but maybe not all) Vermont locations (see warnings below), or type your zipcode to find locations nearby. It will display the closest locations first, and will even give driving distances.
- Worldcat does not record all locations of an item in our rural state. It's great for college libraries and large public libraries, but it's not as precise with small public libraries in Vermont / NH / Mass. So please feel free to request things on interlibrary loan whether or not you find any copies nearby.
- Worldcat has some odd search features, so if you feel like you're going in circles, it's probably not your fault. Check with the Reference Desk if you have questions; we'll be happy to help.
All that said, it's a very useful tool, and it's free!
Brattleboro Area and Vermont
Brattleboro Union High School Library for BUHS/BAMS
Community College of Vermont (CCV) Hartness Library
Marlboro College Rice-Aron Library
School for International Training (SIT) Donald B. Watt Library
Vermont Automated Library System (VALS). Notoriously difficult to use, but it includes many Vermont libraries and is the system we use for interlibrary loan within the state. Click on "Catalog," and then choose "Other Libraries" to search many libraries at once. To actually request something you find, please use the form on the interlibrary loan page.
Southern NH and Western Mass
Keene-Link combined catalog of Keene Public Library and Keene State College
Antioch University New England Horace library catalog
C/W MARS Western Massachusetts libraries
Greenfield Community College Nahman-Watson Library
Five College Consortium: Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, Smith, UMass Amherst