Free Tax Preparation and Assistance in-Person
Call for an appointment:
United Way of Windham County
1 Anna Marsh Way (Brattleboro Retreat)
Volunteer Preparation and Self Help
Brattleboro, VT 05301
Languages: English, Sign Language
For taxpayers with low and moderate income, from early February through the middle of April. You do not need to be a member of AARP or a retiree to use this service. AARP Foundation Tax-Aide volunteers, trained and certified in cooperation with the Internal Revenue Service, will offer assistance with both federal and state personal income tax returns at three locations in Brattleboro. The locations and dates are as follows:
- The Brattleboro VFW on Mondays, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., beginning Feb. 3. Call 802-689-6128 to make an appointment.
- Community Bible Chapel on Wednesdays, from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., beginning Feb. 5. Call 802-275-2822.
- The Brattleboro Senior Center on Thursdays, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., starting Feb. 6. Call 802-257-7570
Brattleboro IRS office, for help with specific questions
1222 Putney Rd., Brattleboro, VT 05301
- Office information: (802) 257-4825
- Make an appointment: (844) 545-5640
- Details on the local IRS office web page
These services are free to those who qualify (check the requirements on the sites), but you may still use them even if your income exceeds the free-filing limit. You'll simply be charged a filing fee when you submit your forms.
Vermonters: if you want to use FreeFile for both your state and federal taxes, use the link above to access the service via the Vermont Department of Taxes. It's more convenient that way.
Need a computer and wifi? The library offers free access to laptops and desktops, and assistance navigating websites. For more information, please inquire at Reference: (802) 254-5290 ext. 1220.
IRS (Federal) 1040 form booklets and instructions will be available free at the library. The library can also print out paper copies of 1040 schedules and other specialized IRS forms for a cost of $.15 per printed side, or see below for information on ordering or printing copies on your own.
Vermont does not distribute free paper forms through libraries, but the library can print out Vermont forms for a cost of $.15 per printed side, or see below for information on ordering or printing copies on your own.
Request forms through the mail:
- Vermont Dept. of Taxes: (802) 828-2515 or (855) 297-5600
- IRS line to request tax forms by mail: 800-829-3676
Or print your own:
= Library Card Required
= Free Website
= Free by Publisher Donation
= In-Library Use Only
= In-Library by Publisher Donation
= Sponsored by the Friends of Brooks Memorial Library